The Randolph boys’ tennis team captured a 5-0 victory over Abington Tuesday, improving to 15-0 and securing the longest winning streak in the team's history.
The Blue Devils’ 15-0 streak is a marked improvement over last season’s 9-9 record. Coach Eddie Weiand attributes the team’s new found success to strong leadership and team building.
“We have a number of seniors that have provided great leadership," Weiand said. "We have three tri-captains that have produced an extreme team with an unselfish attitude."
Indeed, Randolph’s tri-captains lead by example. Donald Do is 10-3 playing second singles. Captain Vu Trinh is 12-0 with his doubles partner, Robinson Vuong, and captain Phu Nguyen is 14-0 with his doubles partner Brian Nguyen.
“They make each other better throughout the season as well as the offseason,” said Weiand.
During the winter, the trio of captains led the team to shovel snow off the courts to get in preseason workouts.
“With three matches to go, we’re hoping to go 18-0. It would be a real accomplishment,” said Weiand.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.