Second-seeded Newton South will meet crosstown rival Newton North in the Division 1 South volleyball sectional final on Tuesday after both schools won today.
After losing the first set 25-23, the Lions (21-1) won the next three sets 25-17, 25-22, and 30-28. The attacking trio of Alex O'Hagan (16 kills), Ethan Landzberg (15 kills), and Josh Horenstein (14 kills) set the tone for the match with their play at the net.
Setter Eugene Kirimov notched a career-high 50 assists.
The Tigers (14-4) earned their berth in the final by handing No. 1 Barnstable its first loss of the season. Newton North fell behind by two sets (25-17, 27-25) before claiming the final three (25-16, 25-16, 15-10) to pull off the upset.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.