Dracut hit itself out of some sloppy play early to blow out Merrimack Valley Conference rival Central Catholic, 17-5, Monday afternoon.
Kyle Adie and Jake Malandrino each hit solo homers while Seth Monbleau knocked in four runs as the Middies improved to 10-2 (5-2 in the conference.)
The Middies have yet to qualify for the state tournament despite their 10 wins because of an early-season win over Malden that didn't count. Dracut needs one more win in their 21-game schedule to qualify.
Central Catholic fell to 4-6 (3-4) in the loss.
Southpaw Casey Sweeney picked up the win after a rough second inning where he allowed four unearned runs.
Monbleau's two-out, two-run double over the center fielder's head in the third gave Dracut a 6-5 lead that ended up being all they would need. Still, the Middies piled it on in the fourth, smoking three Central pitchers to the tune of eight runs. Matt Silva, Mike Bergeron, Pat Taylor, Aaron Barbosa and Monblaeu all knocked in at least one run in the inning.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.