On Friday, Fenway High's battery showed it had a little extra juice.
The visiting Fenway Panthers came back to score five runs in the seventh inning to beat Dorchester High, 7-6. But it was the battery combination of Jeremy Ruiz and Eric Candelario that made it possible.
Ruiz tossed all seven innings on the hill and struck out 13 while catcher Candelario was key at the plate, batting 3-for-4 with two RBIs. Only three of Ruiz' runs were earned.
The Panthers, trailing 5-2 in the seventh, showed they had some fight by clawing back into the contest. Fenway took the lead for good when sophomore Brandel Delgado singled in Lewis Perez from second base.
Ruiz allowed a run in bottom of the seventh but struck out the final batter with Dorchester's tying run stranded at third base, running Fenway's record to 6-4.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.