Rose Lincoln / For the Globe
The girls' lacrosse pairings were announced Thursday and the new power-ranking system to determine seeds produced familiar results, with one surprise. Westwood, Winchester, Framingham and Norwell earned the No. 1 seeds, but in Division 1 South, Franklin (17-1) was a surprising No. 2 seed, ahead of Wellesley (16-1-2). The Panthers have only played four teams with a winning record this month, while Wellesley lost to unbeaten defending state champion Westwood, 16-15, on Tuesday. Franklin's lone loss was to Division 2 Hopkinton, a school that had four losses this spring. In Laxpower.com's power ratings, Wellesley is ranked 5th, Franklin 9th. But that aside, teams will decide on the field just who deserves the seeds. Franklin and Wellesley could meet in the South semifinals. Preliminary round play begins Saturday.
For the girls lacrosse seedings, click here.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.