Sandwich's softball team dealt Plymouth South (11-2) its first league loss in the Atlantic Coast League, 1-0, as both teams suffered a pitcher's duel.
The Blue Knights (10-6) walked away unscathed in the shutout as starting pitcher Nancy Henry battled in the win, keeping hitters off base. She finished with seven strikeout, allowing only two hits. Noelle Christmas fanned 10 and allowed five hits, but couldn't prevent the winning run from crossing the plate in the bottom of the fourth. Sandwich's Frani Davis got a fourth inning single, stole second, and advanced to third on a groundout setting up Kim Wolfe's RBI single and eventual game-winning hit.
Some Notes: Blue Knights catcher Briana Smith has started only two games at catcher this season, part of a lineup change by head coach Jean Russel. The change has worked out well for both sides. In both starts Smith helped her team to wins, 18-1 over Falmouth and 1-0 over Plymouth South. She's also thrown out two potential base-runners and caught two foul bunts for outs in both games.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.