A first-inning grand slam by Mike Twitchell and a 129-pitch effort by A.J. Bashaw led Norton to a 7-4 victory over Ware in the Div. 3 state championship game at LeLacheur Park.
Twitchell’s shot over the left field wall made it 4-0, but Ware scored twice in the third on a triple by Ryan Sidur and a sacrifice fly by Dylan Lask.
Norton added three runs in the fifth on back-to-back RBI singles by Eddie Hannon and Phil Rizzo and a sacrifice fly by Tom Munger.
Ware added two runs in the sixth, but Bashaw (6.1 innings, nine hits, two earned runs, seven strikeouts) kept the Indians at bay and reliever Jeremy Wright got the final to outs to secure the win.
The victory was Norton’s third state title. The Lancers also won championships in 1980 and 1989.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.