Thayer alum and former NHL star Tony Amonte will be the new head hockey coach at his alma mater, the Braintree school announced today.
Amonte graduated from Thayer in 1989. He went on to play at Boston University where he was a second team Hockey East All-Star in 1991 and made the NCAA All-Tournament team in 1991. He played 17 years in the National Hockey League, most with the Chicago Blackhawks.He made the NHL All-Rookie team in 1992 as a member of the New York Rangers and he played in five NHL All-Star games. He was inducted into the USA Hockey Hall of Fame last year.
"We are very excited to have Tony on board,'' said Thayer Athletic Director Matt McGuirk. "His hockey backround speaks for itself, but it is his passion for Thayer as an alumnus that will truly inspire all of the stuudent-athletes that will play for him.''
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.