St. Mark's School has turned to noted alum, and longtime National Hockey League star Scott Young, to direct its varsity boys' hockey program.
The Clinton native skated for the Southborough prep school in the early '80s, teaming up with Doug and Greg Brown, Brian Busconi, and Greg Capello. A 6-foot, 190-pound right wing, he was the Hockey East Rookie of the Year at BU in 1986, and drafted 11th overall by the Whalers in 1987. He went on to play 17 years in the NHL with seven teams, netting 342 goals and 414 assists in 1,181 games before retiring in 2006.
Young skated in three Olympics for Team USA, won Stanley Cups with the Penguins (1991) and Avalanche (1996), and scored a career-high 40 goals with the Blues in 2001.
He is the third former Boston University star, and longtime NHL standout, to land a head coaching position in the Independent School League in the last week. Waltham native Shawn McEachern was hired at the Rivers School in Weston, while Braintree's Tony Amonte is back at his alma mater, Thayer Academy.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.