As the high school football season gets ready to kick into gear, we have some odds and ends to whet your appetite before we dive into our annual team-by-team previews.
-- Barnstable quarterback D.J. Crook, son of coach Doug Crook, has been garnering interest from Division 1 programs as he enters his junior year. Penn St., Harvard, and UConn are among the schools that have been in recent contact with one of the fastest rising players in Division 1A. UMass has its eyes one of Crook's primary targets, senior receiver Jordan Henderson.
-- According to an assistant coach at St. John's Prep, Pat Connaughton is “leaning towards not playing” football this year for the Eagles. This shouldn't come as much of a surprise – the baseball and basketball standout had a strong summer on the court, not to mention a spectacular spring on the mound, both of which may have contributed to his “leaning”. Tight end/defensive end Ryan Delisle has been a hot commodity lately. The senior captain has received looks from UConn, BC, and some Ivy League schools.
-- As previously reported elsewhere, Everett's Manny Asprilla has kept alive what has recently become a Crimson Tide tradition: committing to Boston College. Teammate Matt Costello, one of the top wideouts in Division 1, has been courted by Princteon and the University of Pennsylvania. Harvard and West Point have also shown interest, and the senior is Tufts top receiving recruit in the country.
We'll have more in the coming days as schools get ready for their first practices next week.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.