Despite soaring to a Division 2 North title last season and returning some of its top talent, the Danvers girls soccer team refuses to get ahead of themselves.
“Our expectations moving into the heart of the season are to treat each game like we are playing the best team on our schedule,” stated head coach Jimmy Hinchion. “We are only looking at one game at a time, so at this point we're out to win our next game.”
This task is made easier by the 1-2 scoring punch of senior Brittany Russo and junior Corey Persson. Both strikers notched hat tricks on Thursday in an 8-0 win over Salem and in the process Persson picked up her 100th career point only four games into her third season. Russo also hit the 100 point mark in her junior season last year.
“To reach 100 points is an amazing feat. To do it during your junior year is incredible,” lauds Hinchion. “You don't see that often.
“It's a pleasure to get to coach these girls each and every day,” added Hinchion. “Any coach would die for even one striker with their ability. I'm fortunate to have them both.”
The Falcons are off to a 3-0-1 start thanks to their scorers, but it has been an overall team effort that keeps the Falcons in flight. Coach Hinchion points to his team’s experienced players as a driving force behind the team’s success and unity.
“Our whole team is quite close this year on and off the field and they really seem to enjoy being around one another,” Hinchion said. “I think the younger girls are starting to get comfortable with the pace of the varsity game and that bodes well for the entire team.”
Senior goalie Allison Tivnan has been a three-year starter for the Falcons and had 13 shutouts in her junior season. Senior midfielder Becky Landers serves as one of the team’s captains and her resume includes a league MVP as a sophomore and two All-State selections. Senior Kellie MacDonald is another of the team’s captains and a solid defender that has started all four seasons for the Falcons and has an Eastern Mass. All-Star nod to her credit. Senior sweeper and captain Gabby Vega adds more all-star talent to the roster and serves as the “glue in the back” thanks in large part to her “super speed.”
A squad with this much talent is sure to give any opponent fits, but they remain a humble bunch and their coach keeps them grounded with his "one game at a time" mantra.
“We're hoping to continue to compete for our league's title as well as qualify and hopefully make a deep run in the state tournament,” concluded Hinchion.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.