“Once they crossed the line I leaned over to the high school principal and told him they broke the record,” said Marshfield cross-country coach Dennis Sheppard.
Both juniors led the front pack as they came across the first mile in 4:52 and crossed the 2-mile mark at 10 minutes flat. Hubbard came in first overall in 15:05 and Thomas immediately followed in 15:20 on the 2.9-mile course.
“I didn’t expect to run this fast because it's early in the season. It's nice to see that they are this fit and in shape after doing base mileage during the summer,” added Sheppard.
The two Rams had a breakout spring track season, particularly during the Division 2 state meet where Thomas finished fourth in the two-mile in 9:35 and Hubbard completed the 800-meters in 1:55.
Sheppard expects the two, among the top runners in the Atlantic Coast League, to be two of the top runners in the division state meet as well as the all-state meet in November.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.