Longtime Somerville girls’ basketball coach Brian Harris’ fight to keep his job is still alive after the school offered the job to another candidate and was declined. As a result, Harris gets to try again ... if he wants to.
After a process that included interviewing with a community committee, the athletic director, the headmaster, and the superintendent, it came down to a brief conversation.
‘‘Today in a 10-second conversation she [AD Nicole Viele] said out of that process we identified one qualified candidate. He was offered the position and he declined.’’
That candidate according to Harris was Jeff LaCure, who was girls' basketball coach at Notre Dame of Worcester last winter.
‘‘He (superintendent Tony Pierantozzi) said to me he had some questions regarding my internal policing controls, I think is how he described it.’’
But Harris said it was the headmaster’s decision as communicated by Viele. Harris plans to speak to friends today to figure out if we wants to reapply for the position he's held for the past 18 years. Somerville won the Greater Boston League title the last three years and has made the tournament 16 out of his 18 seasons.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.