Defending Division 1 state champion Acton-Boxboro returns a senior-laden team for coach Mae Shoemaker. That’s bad news for the rest of the state. The Colonials will be led by senior captains Molly Feit, Nathalie Gruet, and Lindsay Dibbs. Add senior mid Sarah McNichols and you can see why Shoemaker said, “I’ve got a lot of really strong girls returning.’’ A-B finished 24-0 in 2009, edging Dual County League rival Weston, 2-1, in overtime to win the North title before beating Walpole and Longmeadow for the state crown.
Walpole again could stand in A-B’s way. The Porkers went 20-1-2, losing only to A-B in the state semifinals. Coach Marianne Murphy graduated 13 seniors but returns captains Caroline Malone, Sarah Buckley, Hannah Feeley, and Michelle Lennon. Look for Wellesley to push Walpole in the Bay State Conference. The teams meet Thursday.
Winning never gets old for defending Division 2 state champion Watertown.
The title was coach Eileen Donahue’s 10th with the Red Raiders. With 2009 in her rearview mirror, Donahue has two goals for the early portion of this season: “We’re working on leadership and keeping the game simple.’’ The Globe’s reigning Division 2 Coach of the Year will look to seniors Bianca Jones, Jessica Doggett, Kaylee McNamara, and Katie Carlson, and Middlesex League leading scorer Erika Kelly.
If Watertown survives the early postseason gauntlet, Canton could be waiting again in the state semis. Canton went 17-2-3 and beat top-seeded Harwich in the South final.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.