Everett athletic director John DiBiaso was notified by certified letter last week from the Cambridge athletic department that the Falcons will break their Thanksgiving Day ties with the Crimson Tide following the 2011 season.
As of now, DiBiaso said he is "looking to see who is open right now," for a Thanksgiving day game. The Crimson Tide coach was surprised to read of the announcement and is worried that the newly formed Somerville-Cambridge Turkey Day contest will hurt his team.
"I'm very disappointed [about the news]," DiBiaso said. "Considering the fact that its very difficult to get Thanksgiving Day opponents, I don't want our players to suffer the consequences of not being able to play."
Everett received the news a few days before it traveled to Xaverian and continued its victory streak with a 28-13 defeat over the Hawks.
Somerville, a member of the Greater Boston League which both Everett and Cambridge belong to, currently plays Matignon on Thanksgiving.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.