On Thursday, the Masconomet boys’ golf team finished off their first undefeated Cape Ann League season (12-0) since 1980 as they tamed the Tigers on the road, 191-109 at the Ipswitch Country Club.
The Chieftains were led by co-captain Alex Kane, who fired an even-par 36, Charlie May who posted a 37, and fellow co-captain Jack Rogers, who carded a 2-over-par 38.
“Alex and Charlie have really set the tone for the kids this year,” said coach Ben Hodges. “Alex is quiet, but leads by example and the kids follow suit.”
This marks the Chieftains’ second straight Cape Ann League title. They actually wrapped up the league with a victory Wednesday at home against their closest Cape Ann League competitor, North Andover, with a 183-128 win. May's 1-under-par 35 and Kane's 37 led the team.
State sectionals start on Monday and Masco is hoping to ride the momentum from their historic season and improve on their 8th place finish in the state finals last year.
“Four of our six golfers have played in the state finals,” said Hodges. “Their experience should be a big help.
“A huge element of it is mental toughness," said Hodges of the finals. "You need to be able to bounce back from a tough hole and focus on the next shot. Four of our kids have first hand experience with that kind of pressure."
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.