Forget the leaves, the candy, and the pumpkin that still needs to be carved. It's a football Saturday in the fall and here are the highlights.
Central Catholic 23, Chelmsford 21 - Trae Musumarra's fourth quarter touchdown run gave Central Catholic the win. Central improved to 2-0 in the MVC Large, 6-2 overall.
West Bridgewater 18, Nantucket 2 - A D.J. Jamieson touchdown run got the host Wildcats off to a fast start and they went on to beat visiting Nantucket.
St. John's Prep 42, Catholic Memorial 29 - Dyllan Gonzalez' 8-yard touchdown run put the Prep on top and St. John's went on to beat the visiting Knights.
St. Mary's 22, Austin Prep 20 - The Spartans stopped a last-second conversion attempt by host Austin Prep and improved to 7-1. Todd Collier ran for 180 yards in the win.
Xaverian 20, St. John's (S) 16 - Joe Colton's third-quarter 5-yard touchdown run gave Xaverian the win and handed St. John's of Shrewsbury its first loss of the year.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.