Long-time girls South Shore League soccer rivals East Bridgewater and No. 15 Norwell clashed Thursday as East Bridgewater edged its host, 3-2.
Senior Kelsey Purcell scored her 12th and 13th goals of the season off a corner kick and a 40-yarder assisted by junior Rachel Blauner for the Vikings. With 12 minutes remaining, Blauner added her 21st goal of the season in the win.
“I was very proud of the way the girls are playing offensively when playing such a tough team,” said coach Pam Ross.
Both the Vikings (7-2) and the Clippers (5-3-1) are battling for the South Shore League title. The Vikings lead the league with a 7-1 record.
“Our goal is to win the league this year and I think this win gave us momentum,” said Ross.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.