Stowe Simonton connected on a mid-air volley in the second half, scoring his first point of the season, as Concord-Carlisle defeated Nipmuc, 2-1, in the Division 2 state championship today at Foley Stadium in Worcester.
Mikey O’Brien also scored for the Patriots, who collected their second consecutive state title and have won three of the last five.
“Luckily it came at the right time I guess to win the states,” said Simonton on finally collecting his first point on Concord’s 73rd goal of the year. “It was an awesome feeling. Luckily it just came right to my feet and I was able to put it away. You have to make sure you get those on goal; it’s mental focus.”
The Globe’s No. 1-ranked team, the Patriots finished the season at 21-1-1 and have gone 22-2 during postseason play over the past five years.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.