In a thrilling double overtime performance, Apponequet's boys basketball team edged South Coast conference rival Dighton-Rehoboth 81-73.
“It was a total team effort," said Apponequet head coach Jim Cabucio. "There was balanced scoring from both teams and we did a great job keeping our composure."
Both teams were tied at half 28-28, with Apponequet leading after three quarters by two, 46-44.
However, Apponequet found itself down by five in the fourth quarter with 1:39 left in the game. Junior guard Tyler DiMelo buried a 3-pointer to bring the Lakers within two. With nine seconds on the clock, 6-3 senior forward Matt Japelonski scored in the post to tie the game.
Dighton-Rehoboth’s Austin Fiero, who finished with 29 points on the night, forced the second overtime with a 3-pointer to tie the game as time expired.
Apponequet junior guard Eric Couto rose to the occasion during the second overtime with four key points. He finished with a team-high 22 points. The Lakers had eight points in double overtime.
“We played hard man-to-man defense," Cabucio said. "We were getting defensive rebounds and were able to convert some baskets.”
Apponequet benefited from balanced scoring, with point guard Matt Schell contributing 13 points and six assists.
“He was very instrumental," Cabucio said. "He hit two threes and hit key free-throws and did a great job running the offense.”
Center Jordan Goetz, a 6-6 junior, recorded a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
Apponequet moves to 2-0 overall and 1-0 in South Coast conference.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.