Athletic director Steve Francis confirmed that Barnstable girls hockey coach Kim Sullivan and assistant coach Bill Loughran have resigned.
Sullivan was the Boston Globe 2007 Coach of the Year after leading the Red Raiders to the MIAA Div. 2 state championship, the first in Cape Cod girls ice hockey history. Loughran was on the bench as well.
Jeff Sollows, the father of captain Courtney Sollows, and assistant coach Ross Alper will take over the girls hockey team.
“Tensions have been rising up because of issues she has been facing,” said Francis. He refused to comment further.
“I value Kim as a coach, She is one of the best coaches around," said Francis, “and this is a great loss to the hockey team.”
The team is 0-1.
Sullivan was the second Barnstable head coach to resign from a varsity position in less than two weeks. On Dec. 3, football coach Doug Crook resigned.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.