The puck will unofficially drop on the high school hockey season on Sunday with the 3rd annual Garrett Reagan High School Hockey Summitt on the five sheets of ice at New England Sports Center in Marlborough.
Presented by the state hockey coaches association in cooperation with the MIAA, the event will feature 64 boys' and girls' teams from the across the state.
Each team will play in a mini-game (two 12-minute periods), participate in educational workshops and seminars and then take in a mid-afternoon stadium-style presentation in the 2,000-seat Rink 1, featuring Blaise McDonald, head coach at the University of Massachusetts Lowell, Harvard assistant Bobby Jay, along with a representative from Bauer, the presenting sponsor.
The first of 32 mini-games will pit the Waltham High girls vs. Norwood, with an 11:30 faceoff on the Rink 2 sheet. The first matchup in Rink 1 features Garrett Reagan's former squad, the Hingham boys' vs. Burlington at 12:10. Reagan, the 26-year coach at Hingham High, passed away in June 2008.
GARRETT REAGAN HOCKEY SUMMIT PAIRINGS
at New England Sports Center, Marlborough
12:10 - Hingham vs. Burlington
1:10 - Xaverian vs. St. Mary's of Lynn
2:10 - Westford vs. St. John's Shrewsbury
4:30 - Acton-Boxborough vs. Weymouth
5:30 - Malden Catholic vs. Springfield Cathedral
6:30 - North Andover vs. Marlborough
11:30 - Waltham girls vs. Norwood
12:30 - Notre Dame girls vs. Wellesley
1:30 - Algonquin girls vs. Medway
4:10 - Lincoln-Sudbury girls vs. Springfield Cathedral
5:10 - Framingham girls vs. Billerica
6:10 - Medway vs. Norwell
12:00 - Waltham vs. Framingham
1:00 - Falmouth vs. Longmeadow
2:00 - Lincoln-Sudbury vs. Dedham
4:20 - Attleboro vs. Holliston
5:20 - Auburn vs. Lynn
6:20 - Brockton vs. Wayland
7:20 - North Quincy vs. Watertown
11:40 - Duxbury vs. Billerica
12:40 - Old Rochester vs. Somerville
1:40 - Braintree vs. BC High
4:30 - Franklin vs. Newton North
5:30 - Coyle & Cassidy vs. Hudson
6:30 - Medfield vs. Wachusett
7:30 - Oliver Ames vs. Nashoba
11:50 - Marshfield vs. Reading
12:50 - Peabody vs. Natick
1:50 - Latin Academy vs. Newton South
4:20 - Brookline vs. Everett
5:20 - Lowell vs. Northeast Voke
6:20 - Medford vs. Lexington
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.