Today McDonald's announced its list of nominees for the 2011 McDonalds All-American Basketball Games. Thirty-three of the 2,000 announced nominees are from EMass schools.
Among those on the list of fourteen boys and nineteen girls from the area are Coyle & Cassidy star Brenna Gonsalves and St. John's Prep's Pat Connaughton.
The final 24 girls and boys will be named on Feb. 10 at 5:30 p.m. on ESPNU. The girls will play at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday March 30 at at Chicago's United Center, and will be broadcast on ESPNU. The boys will play at the same venue at 9 p.m., but will air on ESPN.
Joe Bramanti, Andover; Ryan Canty and Chirs Sherwood, Brimmer & May; Jimmy Zenevitch, Central Catholic; James Kennedy, Cushing; Joe Mussachia, Manchester Essex; Dennis Clifford, Milton Academy; Samir McDaniels and Kachi Nzerem, New Mission; Tevin Falzon, Newton North; Khem Birch, Sam Cassell Jr., Myles Davis, Grandy Glaze, Angel Nunez and Tyler Strange, Notre Dame Prep; Pat Connaugton, St. John's Prep; Patrick Ackerman, Worcester Academy.
Natalie Gomez-Martinez, Andover; Amber Dillon, Brookline; Gabie Polce, Central Catholic; Brenna Gonsalves, Coyle & Cassidy; Nicole Beresford, Marshfield; Julie Frankian, Millbury High School; Briana Hunt, Sophie Bikofsky and Kendall Burton, Newton North; Tori Faieta, St. Mary's; Mariah Lesure, Tabor; Clare Sullivan, Rivers; Blake Dietrick, Wellesley; Samantha Mangano, Winchester.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.