Down by 11 at intermission, and down by 14 with four minutes to play, the resilient Dorchester Bears stiffened defensively in the second half and stunned Burke, 57-56, behind a 3-pointer from junior guard Darius Bass, who nailed the shot with 3.2 left to play.
The Bears (3-8) swept the season series, 2-0, over Boston City South rival Bulldogs.
Coming off a 41-point loss to West Roxbury, coach John Evans called a victory over Burke crucial to the team's playoff hopes. Evans hopes the team can build off the tough win and gather several victories because a .500 record in the Boston City will propel the Bears into the postseason.
Junior Ronnie Jackson powered the Bears with a team-high 17 points, including three 3-pointers in the final period. Junior guard Jeduan Langston sparked the defensive intensity with two steals in the final two minutes. He finished with 10 points for Dorchester.
The Bears will face off next against New Mission.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.