Thankfully for the Plymouth North boys' basketball team, Tyler Chafnov picked a good time to have a scoring outburst.
With his team down by 8 and just five minutes remaining, the speedy guard scored 12 of his 21 points in the fourth quarter, including going 8 for 8 from the free throw line, to help the Eagles surge past the home team Dennis-Yarmouth, 56-49.
“This was a really important win for us,” said coach Bill Drew. “With this we get to 5-5 and still stay in contention for the playoffs and a shot at number one in the [Atlantic Coast League.]”
Drew said his players cut the lead and made their final surges by driving the lane and attacking the basket.
Along with Chafnov, Owen Murphy also chipped in down the stretch. The sophomore forward finished with 10 points, 8 in the fourth quarter.
“We just kept attacking and going after them,” Drew said. “[Chafnov] is really quick, good with the ball, and [Murphy] is big and really good around the basket.”
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.