The Reading Rockets boys swimming team defeated visiting Andover 90-80 in Saturday's meet, giving the school its first unbeaten season in the program's history.
Reading wrapped up its season with an 11-0-1 overall record (4-0-1 in Middlesex League matchups), winning nine of 11 events against the Golden Warriors.
Leading the way for the Rockets were senior Nick Fredetté, who won the 200-yard individual medley and 550-yard freestyle, junior Connor Daly, who won the 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard breaststroke, and sophomore Scott McGinty, who finished first in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle.
Head coach Ken Holbrook was ecstatic with his team's accomplishment, crediting all 19 members of the varsity squad.
"It's just fantastic," Holbrook said. "My guys swam really well, and getting this last win was just the icing on the cake."
Departing senior captains Gib Stevens and Chris Briere also performed well.
"They did great," Holbrook said. "But the win was a team effort; that's the way it's been all year."
Reading will now compete for the league championship Thursday at Bentley.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Waiting for Twitter...