Despite numerous cancellations in anticipation of yet another winter storm, many teams trekked to their games, matches, and meets Wednesday. We recognize their efforts with some highlights from the day's action.
Woburn 2, Belmont 1
The 14th-ranked Tanners scored two goals in the third period after trailing, 1-0, in the second. Jared Baker tied the game at the 9 minute mark of the third and Bobby Smith tipped one in for the winner with about 5 minutes left in regulation. Woburn has won five straight games and is 9-2 overall and 8-2 in the Middlesex League.
St. Mary’s 5, Winthrop/Lynn English/Revere 0
The top-ranked Spartans (10-0-2) took out 12th-ranked Winthrop/Lynn English/Revere (9-2) for their sixth straight shutout. Sarah Foss and Lauren Skinnion combined for the blanking and sophomore forwards Marisa Maccario and Allison Butler combined for three goals and two assists. St. Mary’s has outscored its opponents, 30-0, during its shutout run.
Westford 140.45, Billerica 137.25
Freshman Erin Auger set two Grey Ghosts records, scoring a 9.35 in the vault and a 36.7 in the all-around. The previous highs were 9.3 in the vault (Sarom Kim, 2005 and Meg Burton, 2006) and 36.55 in the all-around (Meg Burton, 2006). Westford improved to 6-5.
West Roxbury 81, Dorchester 40
The Raiders held a 20-point lead at halftime and built on that in the second half as freshman Damion Smith scored a game-high 20 points and pulled down 12 rebounds. Freshman counterpart Markus Neale added 13 points and had eight assists as West Roxbury improved to 9-3.
Gloucester 64, Somerville 60
Senior captain Hannah Cain had a triple-double, scoring 23 points, grabbing 16 rebounds, and dishing out 10 assists. Juniors Heather Cain and Audrey Knowlton contributed 16 points apiece. The Fishermen improved to 9-4.
Wayland 53, Westford 22
The Warriors (15-1) swept nine weight classes (130 pounds through 215) in a clash of Dual County Large and Small division leaders. Senior Kep Edwards pinned Nate Tashjy at 215 pounds and sophomore Will Gunshenan pinned Mark Dale at 160 to lead Wayland.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.