Jules Tavares and the New Bedford Whalers slid down the rankings in the new boys basketball Globe Top 20 after losing to then-No. 19 Brockton last week, 88-74. The Whalers went from No. 3 to No. 7.
The win presented the Boxers with a golden opportunity to jump up in the rankings, but a 73-68 loss to new No. 3 Lynn English warranted just a two-spot jump to No. 17.
After starting the season unranked, the Watertown Red Raiders have cracked the Top 10. A big reason has been the play of Marco Coppola, who is leading the state in scoring, averaging 27 points per game.
Also cracking the Top 20 for the first time this year is No. 18 Mashpee, which made its way in after defeating then-No. 14 Cohasset last week, 66-53. The Skippers fell to No. 19 after the loss.
The top-ranked St. John's Prep Eagles (10-0) continue to soar past opponents, winning by an average of 17 points per game.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.