With the score knotted between Beaver Country Day and Pingree, and time about to expire, Beaver Country Day’s Rene Castro got the ball under the basket. He put up a shot, but it rimmed out.
It was a short-lived disappointment.
Last year’s Mariners squad was foiled by Pingree in its quest for a perfect Eastern Independent League season at home — in overtime. The team wasn’t about to repeat that indignity Thursday, especially after it had already let a 33-21 halftime lead slip away.
As time wound down in OT, Beaver Country Day got another chance, this time tied at 67. Castro had the ball again, passing to teammate Joe Connolly, who then hit a wide-open Jeff Spellman on the baseline. The freshman guard connected for a 3-pointer as the clock struck zero.
The 70-67 win pushed the Mariners to 16-0 in the EIL just before the start of tournament weekend. Pingree fell to 12-4.
Jherson Colon led the Mariners with 24 points. Castro finished with 21. Spellman’s buzzer-beater pushed him up to 9 points on the night.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.