The once-promising senior year of All-Scholastic basketball player Jules Tavares has officially come to an end following his arrest Sunday in Wareham on a charge of assault with a dangerous weapon. Tavares was a senior guard on the New Bedford High School basketball team.
According to a story in the New Bedford Standard Times, Tavares was arraigned Monday in Wareham District Court on charges he pointed a gun at someone after a fight at a party in Wareham.
Bail was set at $2,500 and Tavares was ordered held at Plymouth County Correctional Facility. Tavares was suspended three times this season and was removed from the team following his arrest.
Last year, Tavares led Wareham to the Division 3 state title, averaging 20 points per game. Following his junior year, he briefly enrolled at Wilbraham & Monson but soon left and enrolled at New Bedford. This winter Tavares was leading the Whalers in scoring at 18.7 points per game.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.