After fielding offers from several marquee Division 1 universities, St. Mark's junior Alex Murphy committed to Duke University and confirmed his decision on his Twitter account today.
Murphy is averaging 21 points, seven rebounds and four assists for the 16-2 Lions this season.
The 6-foot-8 forward narrowed his choices down to Duke and Florida, where his older brother Erik plays, but chose to play for coach Mike Krzyzewski instead.
Murphy was also considering offers from Kansas, Arizona and North Carolina. Although he is a junior at St. Marks, he's in his fourth year of high school which allows him to join Duke next season. However, he has not reached a decision on whether to stay at St. Marks next year or join the Blue Devils for the 2011 season, said St. Mark's coach Dave Lubick.
Murphy's family has a rich basketball tradition. His father Jay played for Boston College from 1980-84.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.