When it came down to the final minutes, Duxbury delivered.
The Green Dragons handed Division 2 powerhouse Fontbonne a 2-1 upset in the state final to collect its first-ever Division 2 state championship. The victory snaps the two-game advantage Fontbonne has had over the Green Dragons the past two years, knocking them out of the state semifinals, 4-3, 3-0.
With 45.5 seconds left to play, Duxbury sophomore Hannah Murphy scored to make it 2-1 with junior defenseman Martha Findley and sophomore forward Briana Connolly on the assist to lift the Green Dragons. The Green Dragons (21-3) outshot Fontbonne 32-16 and carried a potent defensive game that made was difference.
With 2:40 left in the third period, Ducks junior forward Erin McLoughlin sent a line pass from the red line to Ducks scoring leader Taylor Shepherd for a one-on-one past Duxbury’s Rachel Myette to tie the game, 1-1.
Thirty-nine seconds into the second period, Green Dragons freshman defenseman Ally Hammel won the draw to send the puck to senior forward Briana Connolly as she blasted one past Fontbonne’s Lan Crofton to take a 1-0 lead.
Duxbury’s momentum never let up despite a scoreless first period with an attempt after the buzzer by junior defenseman Martha Findley at the post.
The Green Dragons have been the ‘on-the-rise’ program this winter after locking in their first-ever 21-win season.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.