Hingham will face Acton-Boxboro for the Division 1 state championship Sunday, March 20 at TD Garden.
A shootout was the deciding factor for the Hingham girls where the Harbormen edged Winthrop/Lynn 4-3 after finishing a scoreless overtime.
Hingham responded with Catherine Chittick, Jane Freda, and Victoria Gong. Winthropís Courtney Mctague landed the first shot.
The Harbormenís (19-4-2) biggest obstacle was sensational eighth grade goaltender Katie Burt with at least 40 saves who kept the Bulldogs afloat while junior center Mackenzie Clark snapped in a wristshot, 1-0. With 43 seconds left, Hinghamís senior Katie Walsh hooked one in the corner from behind the net to tie, 1-1. From there, back-to-back scoring came from Hinghamís Sarah Schwenzfeier, 2-1, Winthrop's right wing Chelsey Bartlett, 2-2.
At 5:32 in the third, Hingham scored at a tousled net by Schwenzfeier from Walsh to lead 3-2. At 4:13, Winthrop came back with a swift attack from right wing Lindsay Roy with defenseman Juliana Kennedy and Clark on the assists, 3-3 as the game headed into a scoreless overtime.
Shootout: It was senior Catherine Chittick and sophomore Jane Freda who kept Hingham up 5-4, in the shootout, but it was senior Victoria Gongís shot that put the icing on the cake, 6-4. Winthropís Courtney Mctague landed the first shot to tie, 4-4.
End of overtime: Hingham 3, Winthrop/Lynn 3
End of 3rd period: Hingham 3, Winthrop/Lynn 3
Hingham's sophomore Sarah Schwenzfeier launched one from inside the box at 14:50 to give the Harbormen a 2-1 lead in the third. The assist goes to sophomore Jane Freda.
Winthrop's Mackenzie Clark flew across the ice on a breakaway, lost sight of the puck, setting up Chelsey Bartlett at 6:52 to tie 2-2.
At 5:32, Hingham scores at a tousled net to lead 3-2.
At 4:13 Winthrop comes back with a swift attack to score, 3-3 as the game heads into overtime.
End of 2nd period: Winthrop/Lynn 1, Hingham 1
No scoring in the period but outstanding performance from Winthrop's Katie Burt in net to leave the Bulldogs untouchable.
End of 1st period: Winthrop/Lynn 1, Hingham 1
Winthrop eighth grade goalie Katie Burt notched at least seven saves to keep the Bulldogs afloat while junior center Mackenzie Clark snapped in a wristshot after going one-on-one with Hinghamís senior goalie Beth Findley, 1-0. With 43 seconds left, Hinghamís senior Katie Walsh hooked one in the corner from behind the net to tie, 1-1.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.