And then there were two.
The finals for the Super 8 are set, as Malden Catholic and St. Johnís Prep prepare to face off for the Division 1A championship Sunday at TD Garden at 6 p.m.
Neither school has won a Super 8 title since the tournament was established in 1991 - only five schools can stake claim to the ďCatholic Memorial Trophy.Ē
Kidding ... although with 13 titles, CM has nine more than BC High. No one else has more than one.
But before they decide the sixth winner ever, letís take a look back on just how these two teams got where they are today.
Records in Super-8 play: MC: 4-0; SJP:4-0
Goal differential: MC: 21-10; SJP: 20-6
St. Johnís Prep has dominated Super 8 play, allowing just a single goal in each of their past three games, while outscoring opponents, 16-3.
The last Division 1 title for either school was in 1985, when the Prep won it all. You have to go all the way back to 1974 for Malden Catholicís last title.
Both teams have some impressive offensive firepower: MC has Mike Vecchione (going to attend UNH) and Ryan Fitzgerald, whoís already signed with BC, as a sophomore. Saint John's Prep has a "game changing center" in Colin Blackwell, who is heading to play for Harvard in 2012.
So, thereís your breakdown, now itís your turn to voice your opinion - vote in the poll and defend your vote in our comments section below and make sure to check out all our Super 8 coverage.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Waiting for Twitter...