NORTH ANDOVER -- For one night, Central Catholic players were Malden Catholic fans.
The Raiders lost in their final round robin game, 2-1, to Hingham and needed Malden Catholic to beat Weymouth by at least two goals to advance to the crossover round.
Malden Catholic beat Weymouth, 5-4, putting MC, Weymouth, St. John's Prep and BC High in the crossover round.
James Gordon scored the game winner for Hingham with 6:51 left in the second period. Steve Bellew also scored a goal and Alex Pompeo tallied two assists.
Tommy Evangelista scored for Central Catholic.
End of the 3rd period: Hingham 2, Central Catholic 1 -- No Scoring in the period. Hingham goalie Derek McInnis made 22 saves to pick up the victory.
End of 2nd peroid: Hingham 2, Central Catholic 1 -- James Gordon gives the Harbormen a 2-1 lead with 6:51 remaining. He slid a wrister underneath Central Catholic goalie Kyle Williams' pads from the right hash. Alex Pompeo also picked up his second assist of the day.
End of 1st period: Hingham 1, Central Catholic 1 -- Steve Bellew put the Harbormen on top with a nifty goal. After receiving a pass from Alex Pompeo, the defenseman put on a deke to his right to lose a defender and then roofed a backhand past Williams.
The Raiders struck back with 3:23 remaining on a Tommy Evangelista snap shot from the left face off circle.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.