LOWELL — The third time is usually a charm. But for the Winthrop Vikings, four is the magic number.
After three consecutive unsuccessful trips to the Division 4 North final, the Vikings (18-6) punched their ticket to the TD Garden with a 55-40 win over St. Mary’s (17-7) at the Tsongas Center Saturday.
“We paid our dues,” Winthrop coach David Brown said. “These seniors wanted it bad and they took over at the end.”
Junior Quinton Dale, who’s been averaging 18 points and 15 rebounds throughout the tournament, led the way for Winthrop with 15 points and 12 rebounds.
After a slow start in the first half, Dale came to life, scoring 11 points in the second half.
“I just had to get my head in the game,” Dale said. “I wasn’t playing good (defense). I wasn’t attacking the basket strong enough so I came out all fired up. But we all did — we always know we’re going to play good in the second half.”
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.