Bishop Stang senior Ryan Early wanted to make sure he returned with a bang.
"He hurt his back when he was 14 in AAU and finally got Tommy John surgery and lost his whole junior year," said coach Nate Charette.
In his first varsity start since his sophomore year, Early had nine strikeouts to pilot Bishop Stang's 4-1 nonleague victory over Fairhaven.
"This was his first start and he really didn't get loose until the third,'' Charette said. ""He retired his last 13 to 14 batters and got stronger as the game went on." .
With Early, who was 4-0 as a sophomore, holding Fairhaven to a run throughout four innings, Bishop Stang was able to execute its offense in the second inning, when junior second baseman Matt Farnworth scored off a wild pitch to tie the scored at 1-1.
Bishop Stang picked up momentum in the fourth after a home run over the left-field fence by junior catcher Scott Powell. Justin Harding belted another homer to give Stang a 3-1 lead.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.