Winchester has hired former Northeastern defensive coordinator Wally Dembowski as its new football coach.
"To get a hire like Wally is really great for the kids," said Winchester athletic director Brian Carroll. "He is really an A+ hire."
Dembowski is excited about the new gig.
"This is a great opportunity and I look forward to working with these kids," Dembowski said. "I just want to thank [superintendent] Bill McAlduff, [principal] Thomas Gwin, [vice principal] Gerald Chapman and [athletic director] Brian Carroll. They were all so helpful in this process."
Dembowski, a 1988 graduate of Holy Cross, had an extensive 19-year career coaching in the college ranks. Most recently, Dembowski was a defensive coordinator and associate head coach at Northeastern. But he was also head coach at UMass-Lowell for two years and coached at BU, AIC and Holy Cross.
Dembowski does have some familiarity with the high school ranks as well. He was a volunteer coach at Swampscott under head coach Steve Dembowski, his cousin, and was also a recruiter while coaching in college.
"From my days as a recruiter, I learned that the Middlesex League is a great league," Dembowski said. "I look forward to the test."
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.