The biggest moment for the Globe's boys' volleyball top 10 this week was highlighted by Central Catholic’s takedown of No. 1 Haverhill, overcoming a 2-0 deficit to deny the Hillies. The win bumped Central Catholic (11-6) to No. 6 in the rankings.
With the tournament in mind, this week’s rankings have fluctuated among the usual contenders.
Returning state finalist Natick (12-2) moved up to No. 4, with only two losses and tournament experience against Western Massachusetts teams.
No. 5 Newton South has the talent to make another run for the state title after making its way to the state semifinals against Chicopee Comprehensive last year.
No. 7 Barnstable (15-1) will be a threat in tourney play, along with Western Alliance addition No. 8 St. John’s Prep (12-3).
Newton North (13-2) and Framingham (15-1) completed the Globe's Top 10, representing the Bay State Conference.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.