One of the top high school basketball players in Boston announced his intentions yesterday to accept a Division 1 scholarship from Penn State University. Akosa Maduegbunam, a 6-foot-3 All-Scholastic guard at Charlestown High School, verbally committed to begin playing for the Nittany Lions in the 2012-13 season. He will play next year for the Winchendon School. As a junior, Maduegbunam averaged 22.3 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals a game last season in leading Charlestown to a 22-3 record, a city championship, and a berth in the Division 1 North quarterfinals.
"He’s a very good shooting guard who can play defense and rebound," according to Charlestown coach Edson Cardoso. "His long arms and quickness allows him to stop guys that come in the paint."
Maduegbunam transferred to Charlestown from Cushing Academy in 2009 and finished his career at Charlestown as an honor roll student. He's transferring to Winchendon School next year for his senior season.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.