Coastal also received 20 and 19 points from Tyler DeMelo (East Freetown, Apponequet) and Chris Green (Taunton, Taunton HS), respectively. West had three players with 20 points or more including Jose Allen (Amherst, Amherst HS) with 23, Phil DePhilips (Orange, Mahar HS) with 22, and Jesse LeCroix (Orange, Mahar HS) with 20.
9-10 BOYS' BASKETBALL
Coastal 58, Southeast 52
Coastal hung on to edge Southeast and capture the gold medal. Tony Pires (Carver, Carver HS) led the winners with 17 points and Tucker Bouchard (Kingston, Silver Lake) chipped in with 11. Southeastís Rory Donovan (Canton, Cardinal Spellman HS) netted 14.
GIRLS' SCHOLASTIC BASKETBALL
West 60, Northeast 50
Alexis Chappell (Springfield, Sabis HS) and Jill Ritrosky (Pittsfield, Pittsfield HS) both scored 19 points to help West capture the gold medal. Carlene Kluge (Reading, Reading HS) 20 points was not enough to lift Northeast.
at Waltham High
Southeast 3, Central 0
Southeastís Maggie Travers (Scituate, Scituate HS) had a goal and assist to lead her squad over Central. Emily McColgan (Walpole, Southfield HS) and Mackenzie Hudson (Stoughton, Stoughton HS) collected the other markers. In net, Carolyn Cook (Medfield, Medfield HS) and Katie Kelley (Walpole, Walpole HS) combined for their third shutout of the tournament.
Coastal 1, West 1
West claimed the bronze medal with the tie against Coastal. Emily Medeiros (Wilbraham, Minnechaug Reg. HS) netted the score for West, while Katherine Sypek (Hingham, Notre Dame) tallied the equalizer for Coastal.
Metro 2, Southeast/Coastal 1
Metro took home the gold medal with a hard-fought victory. Alexa Baumgartner (Newton, BB&N) and Nicole Woods (Beverly, Beverly HS) netted the scores for the winners. Caroline Feeley (Walpole, Walpole HS) scored Southeast/Coastalís lone goal.
BOYS' SCHOLASTIC LACROSSE
Coastal 5, Metro/Southeast 0
The Coastal defense and goalie Ryan King (Lakeville, Apponequet Reg. HS) posted a rare shutout to help their squad to the bronze medal. Coastalís offense was led Brett McAvay, who netted a pair of goals.
Northeast 9, West 4
The Northeast squad took home the gold medal with decisive win over West. Brian Walsh (Lowell, Lowell HS) continued his hot streak, by leading Northeast with four goals. In addition, Brendan Gilgun (Woburn, Woburn Memorial HS) scored two goals and had an assist to help lift Northeast over West.
GIRLS' SCHOLASTIC LACROSSE
at Waltham High
West 15, Northeast/Central 8
Westís Nicole Beliveau (Westfield, Westfield HS), Alexa Allen (East Longmeadow, East Longmeadow HS) and Alicia Busco (Agawam, Agawam HS) had three goals apiece to pace their squad to the bronze medal. Isabella Gitto (Leominster, Leominster HS) and Micaela Sanborn (Chelmsford, Chelmsford HS) each had two goals in the losing effort.
Gold Medal Game
Southeast/Coastal 15, Metro 9
Kristen Hickey (Dedham, Ursuline Academy) and Madison Hughes (Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard Reg. HS) had three goals each for the champions. Metro freshman Shannon Fitzgerald (Newton, Newton North) completed a strong debut in Bay State Games with four tallies, and teammate Michelle Kudlate (Waltham, Waltham HS) added a pair.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.