Bryan Perez scattered seven hits over eight innings and Steve Flynn (5 RBIs) belted an eighth-inning grand slam as East Side rolled to an 11-1, mercy-rule win, forcing a winner-take-all nightcap.
There was no stopping East Side. Ysander Figueroa, a rising sophomore at Assumption College, ripped three hits and knocked four runs and Flynn added two more RBIs as Post 201 hung on for a 10-7 victory, securing a trip to the Northeast Regional tournament in Old Orchard Beach, Maine. East Side (27-8) will play the New York state champion Thursday morning at 9:30.
“We wanted to get on top early to make it difficult for [Lowell]," said East Side manager Mark Peters.
Regan Aghdam (4 innings), Perez (4 innings), and Figueroa (1 inning) shared the work on the mound. Lowell finishes 22-7
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.