The Coastal scholastic boys' hockey team jumped out to an early lead and rolled to an 8-0 win over West at the New England Sports Center in Marlborough on Day 5 of the Bay State Summer Games competition.
Coastal was led offensively by Jonathan Hart (Bridgewater, Bridgewater-Raynham) and Frank Cambria, (West Bridgewater, Coyle-Cassidy) who each had two goals in the victory. Combining for the shutout were Coastal goaltenders Sean Cleary (Centerville, Barnstable) and Jake Berry (Wellfleet, Nauset). Despite having a short bench, West battled to the end. Coastal improved to 2-1 in the tournament, while West falls to 0-4.
Central 6, Northeast 5
Central held on in the third period to defeat Northeast. For the second game in a row, Northeast entered the third period trailing by one goal, but this time was unable to pull ahead as both teams scored three goals in the third.
Central’s attack was quarterbacked by Cody Brier, (Marlborough, Asabet Valley Tech) who had two assists in the third period, and tallied three in all. The Northeast offense was paced by junior forward Blaise Heally (Melrose, Tilton School) who finished the game with two goals and two assists. After Justin Huard (Auburn, Auburn HS) of Central found the net to push the score to 4-2 early in the third period, Northeast defenseman Matt Brett (Westford, Westford Academy) scored on the power play with a blast from the point. Brett finished the game with a goal and an assist. For the tournament, Central is now 2-1, and Northeast moves to 3-1.
Metro 6, Southeast 2
Freshman Chris Usseglio (Watertown, Watertown HS) scored two of Metro’s four first period goals to boost his team to a 6-2 win. Conal Lynch (Charlestown, Boston Latin) chipped in with two points on a goal and assist. Dean Chandler (Hanover, Hanover HS) compiled a pair of assists to lead in points for Southeast.
Central vs Coastal
Game was declared a draw.
GIRLS' SCHOLASTIC HOCKEY
Central/West 2, Southeast/Coastal 2
For the second time in the tournament, Central/West and Southeast/Coastal battled to a draw, 2-2. Central/West jumped out to a two-goal lead as freshman Kayla O’Connor (Springfield, Deerfield Academy) and Samantha Pion (Easthampton, Proctor Academy) each scored a goal early in the first period. Southeast/Coastal was able to pull even with scores from Monica Riordan (Milton, Milton HS) and Samantha Fallon (Pembroke, Dexter). In between the pipes, Amanda Fontaine (Northfield, Northfield-Mount Herman) and Emily Spencer (East Longmeadow, East Longmeadow HS) were solid for Central/West while Christina Frasca (Norwood, Norwood HS) matched the effort across the ice.
Central/West 8, Metro/Northeast 0
Sarah Wilczynski (Ludlow, The Hotchkiss School), Jackie Tavella (East Longmeadow, Deerfield Academy) and Kayla O'Connor (Springfield, Deerfield Academy) each scored two goals to lead Central/West over Metro/Northeast, 8-0. O’Connor also added three assists while Wilczynski dished out two. Amanda Fontaine (Northfield, Northfield-Mount Herman) and Emily Spencer (East Longmeadow, East Longmeadow HS) shared the shutout in between the pipes.
BOYS' SCHOLASTIC SOCCER
West 3, Metro 2
Northeast 1, Coastal 0
Southeast 3, Central 0
Coastal 1, Metro 0
Northeast 3, Central 1
GIRLS' SCHOLASTIC SOCCER
Central 4, Metro 3
Northeast 0, West 0
Bronze Medal Game Play-In (4th place vs 5th place)
Southeast 3, Metro 0
Gold Medal Game Play-In (2nd place vs 3rd place)
Central 1, Northeast 0
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.