We've already had an exciting Friday in high school football. But as we make our way through the weekend (and the rain), we're going to see some pretty high profile games being played. Forgive me for saying what is becoming an overused term, but at least three of these games are "can't miss." So make your way to Westwood, or find your way to Duxbury and on Sunday get your tail to Danvers. After this, league game starts and we won't get an opportunity to see nonleague matchups of this type for awhile.
1. New Bedford (2-0) at Duxbury (2-0), 1 p.m. -- Myles Medeiros has thrown eight touchdowns for New Bedford while Duxbury is on an unbeaten streak dating back to 2009.
My pick: Duxbury
2. Brockton (1-1) at Xaverian (2-0), 1:30 p.m. – There’s going to be fireworks in Westwood. Enjoy the talents of Brockton’s Paul Mroz (QB), Josh Brewster (RB), Lucas DePina (WR), Austin Roberts (WR) and Xaverian’s Chris Calvanese (QB), Ryan Farrell (WR) and Mike Warren (WR).
My pick: Brockton
3. Lawrence Academy (0-0) vs. Milton (0-0), 1 p.m. – We’ll be seeing a new chapter for Lawrence Academy when they open up against Milton Academy in their ISL opener.
My pick: Lawrence Academy
4. Rivers (0-0) at St. Paul’s (0-0), 2:30 p.m. – Watch out for Rivers QB Ash’Shaquor Sandiford. He leads a Rivers team that will be the favorite in the ISL this season.
My pick: Rivers
5. Everett (2-0) at St. John’s Prep (0-2), 2p.m. – A rematch of last season’s Division 1 Super Bowl. However, only one of these teams looks the part. Everett features quarterback Jonathan DiBiaso who is on a torrid pace for touchdown passes. He has eight touchdown passes through two games.
My pick: Everett
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.