After a 3-2 win over Westford Academy to open the season, Boston Latin's girls volleyball team has set its sights on dethroning Lincoln-Sudbury from its three-year perch atop the DCL this season.
“Our first goal is to get into the playoffs, but we also want a shot at L-S,” said Boston Latin coach Kai Yuen after his teams’ hard fought win over Westford Academy on the road earlier tonight. “We’re not feeling like we need to be perfect [to beat L-S], we just need to play well and we’ll see what happens.”
The Wolfpack will get their first of two shots at the reigning champs next Tuesday. If they’re going to be successful they’ll need strong performances from senior captains Claire Zimmerman, who was a Dual County All-Star as a junior, and Courtney Hoban.
Zimmerman led the Pack with 25 kills from the middle hitter position, while Hoban chipped in with 14 of her own, as Boston Latin and Westford Academy traded sets until the fifth, where Zimmerman helped Latin lock up the win, 15-11.
“[Zimmerman’s] the heart of our defense and the strength of our offense,” said Yuen. “It’s still early but I think she has a real chance to be the DCL MVP.”
“It was nice to beat Westford because they got us last year and it shows that we’re making progress,” said Yuen.
The Wolfpack, which return five starters from last season’s team that went 10-9, struggled with the serve all match, making 20 unforced service errors. But the rusty service game didn’t temper Yuen’s excitement for his team this season.
“It’s encouraging to know that even with all the trouble serving we were still in every game,” he said. “The rest of our game was holding together well. We were outplaying them in all other aspects of the game.”
Even with the match going to the final game and their service game still struggling, there was no panic on Latin's side of the net, according to Yuen, who was quick to give credit to the senior leadership.
“We have the makeup of a very good team,” he said. “I think last year our juniors got trapped into thinking that they still had another year to show what they could do. Now that that this year’s come you can see the rise in urgency.”
“I’m sure both [L-S and Latin] will have some rust when we play next week because neither of us have had a ton of time to practice yet," said Yuen. “Our service game is normally strong. If we show that then it should be a real good match. Either way, we’ll go after them. This year we're going to be one of the teams to watch.”
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.