Junior forward Casey Connors scored a hat trick in her varsity debut as the Hanover field hockey team defeated East Bridgewater, 4-2, at Harry Gerrish field in Hanover.
Connors’s goals came in the second half and were all assisted by junior forward Molly MacNeill.
‘‘[Connors] sat out for a few minutes in the second half with leg cramps and then asked to be put in and went crazy on offense,’’ said coach Judy Schneider.
Hanover (1-0) looked out matched early on, as the Vikings (0-1) controlled the flow throughout the first half. Forward Sophia Cacciatore deflected a hard shot into the goal to put the East Bridgewater up, 1-0, at the half.
‘‘The first half of the game, East Bridgewater kept us on defense,’’ said Schneider. ‘‘We were nervous early on and we didn’t have a chance to go up field and try to score.’’
The Indians came out firing in the second half as Connors drilled her first goal from midfield off a cross-field pass from MacNeill. Forward Meg O’Brien fired a pass from a melee near the net to sophomore forward Angela Katsikis, who deposited a shot into the back of the net for the go-ahead goal.
Connors then added the cushion, scoring twice more to complete her hat trick.
‘‘They are very inexperienced but they didn’t quit and they didn’t give up,’’ said Schneider. ‘‘This team is very young and we only have eight seniors so we are still trying to get better.’’
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Waiting for Twitter...