Barnstable has extended its stretch atop the the Globe's volleyball rankings. And although the team is stacked with potential to return to the state finals, the top 10 teams are going to be a bracket in need of a close watch.
In the running are Medfield, Case, Melrose and Andover. Case, with a senior-loaded team, is sure to make a dent in the playoffs and currently holds the No. 3 spot. Their place in the rankings will be either upheld or upended in the coming weeks with tough competition coming against Fairhaven (beat them 3-2 in the season opener) and No. 1 Barnstable.
Melrose and Andover have not had any upsets yet.
Division 2's Medfield returns with its its only loss to Division 1 champion Barnstable. Andover and Division 3 champion Frontier have had a solid start, but the story of the week is Brookline vs. Lincoln-Sudbury.
No. 7 Brookline, which suffered its only loss to No. 13 Newton North, put up a road block to end No. 8 Lincoln-Sudbury’s seven-game streak. The move bumped up Brookline into the top 10. We’ll keep an eye on them until they face Lincoln-Sudbury at the end of regular season.
Reading and Canton are new additions to the list with solid runs in their respective conferences.
Liz Torres can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.