Canton’s girls soccer team has already traveled to North Easton to beat Oliver Ames 3-0. When the two teams met for the second time Friday in Canton, the Bulldogs managed to remain atop the Hockomock Davenport league, ahead of the defending champion Tigers, with a 1-1 tie. Canton's record currently stands at 9-0-2.
Although Canton did not earn a victory, the tie keeps Canton in first place with only two league games remaining on the schedule.
Oliver Ames struck first. Kendal Andrew scored 10 minutes into the second half and to give the Tigers the lead. It was the first time all season Canton had fallen behind in a game, according to coach Paul Turner.
“I didn’t know how we would respond,” said Turner.
But only five minutes after going down, junior Lauren Berman scored her 19th goal of the season to knot the score at one.
“We looked shell-shocked at first,” Turner said. “But it was great that we responded quickly."
Turner said Canton had many chances at the end of the game to grab the lead, including a couple for Berman, but was unable to net the winning tally. Oliver Ames is now 9-1-2.
With league games remaining against Foxborough and Stoughton, teams that Canton has already defeated this season, the Bulldogs are one win away from clinching the top spot in the Hockomock league.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.