Northeastern Conference leading scorer Hayley Dowd notched two goals Wednesday to break the Peabody girls' soccer career goals record. She now has 92.
Dowd isn't new to the record books -- she scored 45 goals her freshman year for a state record. The junior forward has been recognized as an ESPNHS-All American, totaling 80 goals and 104 points her first two years at Peabody.
Dowd, who has committed to Boston College, scored in the 26th minute to tie the record and in the 38th minute in the second half to make it her own in No. 13 Peabody's 6-0 victory over Salem. Justine Hartigan had held the record.
"She's not the type of player that focuses on records," said Peabody coach Dennis Desroches of Dowd. "The No. 1 thing she's concerned with is the 'W' in the win column."
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.