Jonathan Thomas, St. John’s Prep – The sophomore running back turned in a hefty performance Saturday, rushing for 223 yards and three touchdowns to help the Eagles take down St. John’s (S), 41-20.
R.J. Noel, Lowell – Noel threw for 189 yards and two touchdowns, while rushing for two more to help Lowell beat Central Catholic, 42-15, Friday.
Brandon Walsh, North Andover – The senior quarterback turned in a big night for the Knights, scoring five touchdowns. Walsh had three through the air, one on the ground, and the final one on a 26-yard interception return to help North Andover beat Phillips Andover 46-0 Friday.
Nick Peabody, Barnstable – Peabody had some big shoes to fill, replacing D.J. Crook who is out with an injury to his throwing hand. Peabody threw two touchdowns and rushed for another, helping Barnstable beat Dartmouth, 37-0, Friday.
Kurt Hunziker and Dylan Mann, Masconomet — In an upset win over Beverly, Hunziker, a senior linebacker, made 15 tackles and forced a fumble. Mann scored three touchdowns and recovered a fumble.
Kevin McCarthy, Hingham — The Harbormen won their first Patriot Keenan game of the season Saturday and McCarthy was a force, rushing for 127 yards and a pair of touchdowns on only nine carries.
Charles Ruffin, King Philip — The senior tailback carried the ball 22 times for 144 yards and two touchdowns to help the Warriors improve to 5-1 with their first Hockomock Kelly-Rex win.
Matt Montalto, Dennis-Yarmouth — The undefeated Dolphins beat Marshfield in an Atlantic Coast League game for the first time ever Friday night. The dual-threat quarterback led the way on the ground with 146 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries.
Giovanni Ortiz, Watertown — Ortiz showed his versatility Friday night in a 27-14 victory over Middlesex Small foe Stoneham. The senior wide receiver scored three touchdowns — one by reception (28 yards), one on special teams (82-yard punt return) and one rushing (11 yards) — to help the Red Raiders remain undefeated.
Tyquan Culbreth, Concord-Carlisle — The 5-foot-7 senior back scored four rushing touchdowns as the Patriots rolled past visiting Westford, 61-14, Friday.
Armani Reed, Randolph — The 5-9 senior back racked up 162 yards rushing and scored on runs of 55, 35 and 9 yards in the Blue Devils’ 29-22 win over visiting Cape Cod Tech on Saturday.
Brett Fontaine, Newburyport — The 6-1 senior receiver hauled in touchdown receptions of 65, 8 and 11 yards in the Clippers’ 34-14 win over visiting Ipswich Saturday. He finished with seven receptions for 165 yards. Fontaine now holds the school’s single-season receiving record.
Trevor Lyons, Hamilton-Wenham — The 5-9 junior back carried 11 times for 287 yards and tied a school record with five touchdowns in the Generals’ 46-13 win over visiting Bishop Fenwick Saturday. Lyons scored on runs of 30, 67, 10, 40 and 71 yards.
Pat O’Donnell, Arlington Catholic — The senior quarterback threw for 217 yards and two touchdowns, and ran for 87 yards and two scores, as the Cougars knocked off previously unbeaten St. Mary’s.
Joey Meuse and Ian Strom, Millis-Hopedale — In a 12-7 win over Westwood, the pair each had a second-half interception to hold off the Wolverines.
Derek Bruce, Greater Lowell — With a win at Cheslea, the Gryphons (2-3) assumed first place in the Commonwealth Small. Bruce powered the attack providing all of the Gryphon’s points in the 16-9 win, scoring on a 1-yard rush and a 46-yard TD strike to Joe Forester in the third to seal the it.
Matt Owens, Cathedral — The red-hot Panthers (6-0) remain on a tear led by players like Owens executing on offense. The senior rushed for three touchdowns, including a 90 yarder and a 70-yard score, in the 40-7 rout of Lowell Catholic. The Panthers are tied with Pope John for first in the league.
Jake Petruzzelli, South Shore — With the Vikings (2-4) losing four straight after their opening day win, the senior quarterback was instrumental in righting the ship, tossing two touchdown passes and running for another in the team’s 36-16 win over Upper Cape Tech.
Jonathan Marrero, Brighton — The Bengals (3-2) remain in the hunt for the postseason and will have a good chance if Marrero can provide a spark as he did this past weekend. The senior rushed for 130 yards and a touchdown to lead the Bengals past Southie, 16-0.
Riley McCabe, St. George’s — The senior quarterback threw three touchdown passes to dig the dragons out of an early 7-0 hole and lead St. George’s past St. Mark’s, 28-14.
Mackay Lowrie, Roxbury Latin — In a 34-7 win over St. Paul’s, Lowrie, a junior quarterback, ran for two touchdowns and threw for two others as the Foxes improved to 4-0.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.